blog background

Thursday, July 23, 2009

My new camera!

I've recently gotten a new digital camera for my birthday. I love it! I mentioned before that I planted some hibiscus in front of the house. I had a new art project all planned out. I was going to take a picture of the flower blooming and then dying. The blooms only last a day, so I planned a day when I would be home the entire time. I set my watch to go off every hour, when I would go outside and take a new shot of the flower. This is a project I will never complete. Since that day, I have discovered that hibiscus only bloom at night. I'm just not that dedicated. Nonetheless, here are a few of the pictures I got of the bud (which remained a bud every hour of the day).


I thought I should also update on my reading. I know I have three books listed, and it's a little deceiving. I have OCD tendencies. I'm waiting to read Feminine Appeal until my mom can get a copy, because we plan to read it together. I have read the first few chapters of The Goose Girl but haven't been hooked yet. I plan on The Brothers Karamazov taking a few years to complete, though I've set a tentative deadline for this Christmas. It took me four years to read Crime and Punishment, another book by Fyodor Dostoevsky. One thing I learned in the last book: draw a character tree as you go. The Russian names are so confusing, and each character is called a number of different names by different people. The edition that I am reading has a list of characters and a brief description, so I have made a character web on the inside cover of the book and have read about 30 pages. It's wonderful so far! Here's where things get a little obsessive. I went with my HG to dinner and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince this last Friday! It was my favorite movie in the HP series so far, but it was also my favorite book. All day Saturday I kept trying to think of the things that were left out- all the little details. I found myself forgetting. Unacceptable. So, though I've read it three times before, I decided Sunday afternoon that I should reread it again. When I finished it on Tuesday, I decided I needed to go ahead and read book seven as well. I finished it Wednesday night. Whew...now that that's over, I'm back to my normal reading, but you won't see a post for a while, because I'm attempting to tackle The Brothers Karamazov. If I can actually do it by Christmas, I just might attempt the improbable: Les Miserables.






No comments:

Post a Comment