blog background

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse


I love this author's writing! This is my second book of hers to read, and it was good. It is the story of a little Jewish girl who attempts to escape to America at the beginning of WW1. It is a series of letters she writes to her cousin, Tovah, who because of her wealth, was able to stay in Russia. At twelve years old, this little girl survives the harassment of Russian soldiers, being separated from her family, suffering illness after illness, with strength and an irrepressible hope for the future. Reading level: 4.2

Like I said, this book is good, but...it's nothing compared to her other book, Out of the Dust. Every person in the world needs to read that book. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. So, though it's a little rude to ignore the above book, I'm going to instead recommend the following (what I deem as one of the best pieces of young adult literature out there):


It is written in free verse. It's so raw and creative. The story, as well as the writing, will take your breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment