blog background

Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens


I love reading the classics. There is a confidence I have when reading through them that they will be worth the effort. Having stood the test of time, they are recommended by history itself. They usually teach me something while they tell me a story, and I love that!
I initially picked A Tale of Two Cities because I wanted to read something by Dickens. His language is so beautiful! I am completely ignorant when it comes to history of any kind, so I liked this one because I would also learn about the French Revolution: the Reign of Terror, La Guillotine, "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, or Death!" etc. The edition I bought had great footnotes to explain a lot of what was meant by phrases I knew nothing about.
My real love for reading it came about after I had begun the book. First of all, Dickens knew the Scriptures so well- they are referenced or quoted at least a hundred times throughout the book. I only hope that one day I would see all the world in reference to the Truth that is inscribed in my heart! I also got to learn about the path of Christianity in French culture. The French Revolution was "deeply anticlerical in ideology, method, and symbols. The divorce between church and state in France remains absolute" (a footnote from the book). Dickens describes the transformation: "Above all, one hideous figure grew as familiar as if it had been before the general gaze from the foundations of the world- the figure of the sharp female called La Guillotine...It was a sign of the regeneration of the human race. It superseded the Cross. Models of it were worn on breasts from which the Cross was discarded, and it was bowed down to and believed in where the Cross was denied" (272).
The last 100 pages of this book more than made up for the confusing middle section. By the end, all confusion was made clear, and a beautiful story unravels in language that cuts right to the heart. As one character trades places with another, dying a death sentenced to the other for Love's sake, he meets his death with complete peace saying, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known" (372). May my life end with such peaceful confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment