blog background

Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Reason For God by Tim Keller


I am in love with literature, among other things. I have always had a deep love of reading within me, so I try to read often, I try to read varied texts, and I try to force my love of reading onto others (and at my job, that's exactly what I am paid to do). So my blog will be one more way that I attempt to get others reading as much as possible.
On the sidebar, of course, I have listed the books I'm currently reading, but I realize that most don't check them out or know if the book actually ended up being worth the time. During summer especially, when I have an abundance of free time, the books will change out frequently and I don't want anyone to miss one. SO, every time I finish a book, I will write a little blurb about it. I also do this so that it will be in the archives and you will be able to look up any book I've read because I will post about them all. (Please use this lovely feature in the future!)
This week I happened to finish The Reason for God by Tim Keller. I can reasonably recommend that any book by this man is worth your time in gold. In this particular book, Keller lays out the most common arguments against Christianity. He agrees with them, argues for them fervently and with an understanding that is beyond me. Then, he logically shows the error in which the entire argument falls apart, or what daunting implications arise from such a view, which most people at that point, would quickly forsake. Some of the arguments were scientific, which was good to read, but less practical to me here in the Bible belt. This is a great book to give to skeptics that for whatever reason, have well thought out, legitimate beef with Christianity. The greatest thing I learned from this book was the mode with which I engage in discussion with those who don't believe the gospel of Christ. In my sin, I quickly answer their confusion or frustration as a means of proving "my case" to them. Keller shows a much more loving, gentle, and effective way of discussion. In the second half of the book, he lays out the major theology of the gospel. Like I said, this is a great book to give to intellectual skeptics, but it is also a great book for Christians to read, as a learning tool for engaging our culture where they are at in this postmodern world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment