blog background

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Happy 6 months Sophia!

Sophia turned six months old today. Half a year. Have we been together that long? Sometimes it seems like we've always been together. Life before her seems a bit fuzzy. Other times it seems like I was just having her yesterday. The anticipation, the memories, the joy of that day are burned into my brain. She has brought abundant joy and gratefulness to our home. Parenting her has been the greatest thing we've ever done and has made us happier than we imagined it could.

I have been thinking all day today about the day we had her. The 3 am drive to the hospital, with "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" playing on repeat while Andy and I debated whether it was a false alarm or not. The quiet, still streets, with bright red and green stoplights. No one was on the road but us. And we were headed to a greatly anticipated and unknown experience. It was surreal...dreamlike. Twelve hours later I saw waving purple hands and this sweet face looking up at me, quiet, mouth in an o, both of us staring into each other's eyes, taking each other in. I remember looking at Andy, exhausted physically and emotionally, relief and triumph covering everything and seeing tears in his eyes. How could we have known it would be this good? We weren't prepared for the violent and immediate love we would have for her. We didn't know our hearts could love anything besides ourselves this fiercely. Some days I think about this love I feel for Sophia and am amazed- God loves me like this? Can it be true? No. He loves me even better. Because God isn't struggling with sinful ambition or idolizing me. It's a pure love. It's a love I will never be able to give Sophia.

So today, we pray the same thing we've prayed for the last six months. God, love her like you love us! Seek her heart and win it over by the Spirit of Truth! Save her from herself! You are good, you are true, you are faithful! Be her only God!













Come, thou long expected Jesus,
born to set thy people free;
from our fears and sins release us,
let us find our rest in thee.

Israel's strength and consolation,
hope of all the earth thou art;
dear desire of every nation,
joy of every longing heart.

Born thy people to deliver,
born a child and yet a King,
born to reign in us forever,
now thy gracious kingdom bring.

By thine own eternal spirit
rule in all our hearts alone;
by thine all sufficient merit,
raise us to thy glorious throne.
 
-Charles Wesley (1707 - 1788)

No comments:

Post a Comment